Sunday, July 11, 2010

Better late than never...

I've had this blog on my "to do" list for about 18 months. As with going to the gym, it just always seemed to be on the proverbial back burner. But (drum roll please)... welcome to the redesigned La Maison Marigny blog! I'll try to keep you up-to-date with what's happening in around New Orleans as well as at the B&B!

Dewey and I had a wonderful trip to Barcelona in May, so we're keeping the B&B open much of the summer. Despite the irritating BP oil mess, we're running above a pretty decent occupancy level. I'm very happy! It's also helping me keep Joi and her husband Thyago, our wonderful young Brazilian housekeepers, employed. They are therefore happy as well!

July and August are traditionally the slower tourism months in New Orleans. It's hot outside but with air conditioning it's really pretty tolerable! Even though it's "low season," there are some fun things to do like the gallery openings at White Linen/Dirty Linen nights, Tales of the Cocktail, the Satchmo SummerFest, etc. Southern Decadence (Labor Day) is just a few weeks away, too, and the Saints start defense of their Super Bowl title in early September. Then we get
really busy!

Right now, we have a nice couple from San Diego staying at the B&B. They've decided to relocate to New Orleans and both have great jobs lined up. We need more people like this in NOLA and I'm thrilled to have them with us!

In fact, I've read many articles and heard a lot of local conversation about the many people moving to New Orleans to work, learn and teach. The local universities (including our alma mater Tulane) are reporting record numbers. This bodes well for the future...we just need to avoid another big "PR disaster" for a few years!

Thanks for reading and I'll start posting my thoughts about the B&B, our city, and our guests. I won't discuss religion or politics, though. If it gets banned at the breakfast table, it's banned on this blog as well! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment